Pages

Top 10 Television Shows 2017 (July-September)

Thursday, September 28, 2017

April-June is here.

I'm behind, obviously, but in my own defense, I'm behind.

I've yet to see, but will see:

I Love Dick (have yet to start)
Transparent (am underway)
Casual (have yet to start)
Wet Hot American Summer (yet to start)
Difficult People (yet to start)

I noted in the April-June list that I might readjust Veep/Fargo at year's end, upon finishing each it's clear that both shows had their softest seasons to date (as did The Americans, recall)

1. Top of the Lake (Sundance)
2. I'm Sorry (Tru)
3. Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
4. Catastrophe (Amazon)
5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
6. Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
7. Master of None (Netflix)
8. Better Things (FX)
9. You're the Worst (FXX)
10. Broad City (Comedy Central)

For me, Top of the Lake season two is rare peak TV better in 2017 than in its previous season; it's my Peggy Olsen viewing of choice this year.  I'm Sorry was just funny and very true to itself, had a very consistent comedic voice in every episode.  I don't know that Halt and Catch Fire (or Catastrophe) needed another season, it's well done and a pleasant visit, but it feels like the story could have stopped a year ago.  Kimmy Schmidt is entirely Titus's show now, he scores in every scene and the further the story gets away from him the less interesting the show becomes.  Maybe the softest year yet for OITB in a season of largely soft campaigns for premium shows. I haven't quite finished Master of None yet, it seems to have given a little back this year.  The last three shows are all about 1/4 through their seasons, there's a practical element to their inclusion here, given the backlog of shows I haven't seen and the entire fall still to come, I wanted to slip them in here.



No comments

Blogger Template created by Just Blog It